Mobile Meals & Senior Nutrition Program
Mobile Meals Menus:
Watch our video presentation “Mobile Meals Celebrates 50 Years of Service” (produced by Rustic Roots Creative)
About Mobile Meals
Mobile Meals is the Meals on Wheels program in Knoxville and Knox County TN. The Mobile Meals program serves:
- Mid-day meals
- Five days a week and Christmas and Thanksgiving
- To Knoxville and Knox County citizens
- Who are at least 60 years old and are unable to leave their home without assistance
- Who cannot cook for themselves and have no one to prepare meals for them
Who Receives Mobile Meals?
- Most are 75+; More than 60 percent are over 85; many are in their 90s.
- Most live alone and have no one to help them.
- Many have low incomes, many do not. One does not have to be poor to need and receive Mobile Meals. Many meal recipients pay for a portion or all of their meals.
- There are Mobile Meal recipients in every zip code in Knox County.
Who Pays for Mobile Meals?
- Each person who receives a meal is asked to contribute toward the cost, with the suggested contribution based on income.
- About 303 meals per day are provided through federal and state grants.
- Additional meals, about 622, are provided through the generosity of United Way, individuals, businesses, churches, civic groups, and foundations in our community.
- Donated time of volunteers who deliver meals is a crucial resource. More are needed.
Why Does Mobile Meals Need Help?
Home-delivered meals help the very old and frail continue to live independently in their own homes. Their numbers, especially those over 85, are growing fast. East Tennesseans are fiercely proud of their independence, but some things can’t be done alone.
Until several years ago, the Mobile Meals program was only able to serve those in the most dire need. In fact, by the time the program could serve them, many of the seniors were so frail that they soon had to be hospitalized or go into a nursing home. Thanks to community support, the program is now trying to reach older adults before they get into a medical crisis, allowing them to remain independent in their own homes longer. Knoxville-Knox County Mobile Meals is one of the few Meals on Wheels programs in Tennessee without a waiting list.
The program needs more volunteers to deliver meals to homebound clients every Monday – Friday.
How Can You Help Mobile Meals?
Donate Funds: Build Mobile Meals into your annual budget. Any amount helps. Pledge a monthly or quarterly amount to “Adopt A Senior” on Mobile Meals. It only costs $975 to feed an elderly person for an entire year, or $80 per month.
Make a contribution to Mobile Meals in honor or in memory of someone special. Acknowledgment of your gift will be sent as you designate.
Volunteer Time: Deliver meals between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., once a month, once a week, or as often as your schedule permits. Total delivery time averages two hours per route. Approximately 100 volunteers each day deliver a meal and a smile to the 1,100+ homebound seniors served in every zip code in Knox County.
To join our family of volunteers, email MobileMealsVols@knoxseniors.org or call 524-2786.
For More Information About Volunteering
MobileMealsVols@knoxseniors.org or 865-524-2786