Consumer Information

Many organizations inform consumers about businesses and charities before they use services or donate money.

AARP Tennessee: 1-866-295-7274

5000 Meridian Blvd., Suite 180, Franklin, TN 37067
AARP is a non-profit, nonpartisan, social welfare organization with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps empower people to choose how they live as they age. AARP Tennessee has identified three main priority areas of service to focus their work, including healthy living, age-friendly communities, and fraud prevention.

Better Business Bureau: 692-1600

251 N. Peters Road, 37923
Call for reports or to determine if complaints are on file about area businesses; check on charitable organizations. Offers mediation and arbitration to resolve problems and information about scams and other topics of consumer interest, including how to get information about out-of-area businesses (must know ZIP code).

Business Tax Offices

Knox County: 215-2392

300 Main Street, 37902 (street)
P.O. Box 1566, 37901 (mailing)

Knoxville: 215-2083

400 Main Street, Room 453B, 37902 (street)
P.O. Box 1028, 37901 (mailing)
Informs consumers about local businesses’ licensure status. Check with county and city offices before doing business with providers, particularly those that initiate contact.

HomeSource East Tennessee: 637-1679

109 N. Winona Street, 37917
Focuses on affordable housing for low- and moderate- income persons; offering affordable rent housing; first- time home-buyers’ counseling; foreclosure counseling; assistance modifying homes; and financial fitness education for prospective home buyers.

Knoxville Area Urban League: 524-5511

1514 E. Fifth Avenue, 37917
Provides free foreclosure counseling, mortgage assistance, workforce development (job interview preparation) and budget and credit classes to help individuals better understand and manage their finances.

Legal Aid of East Tennessee: 637-0484

607 W. Summit Hill Drive SW, 37902
Reviews consumer contracts (home repair, landlord/ tenant, car buying, etc.). Consultation for age 60+ and legal representation for low-income clients in appropriate consumer cases. Call to apply.

National Do Not Call Registry: 1-888-382-1222
TTY (for deaf only): 1-866-290-4236

Call or go online ( to enroll as a residential telephone subscriber who does not want to be solicited by telemarketers. Effective within 31 days after enrollment; telemarketers are prohibited from calling, unless exempted by law. Registration does not expire. Enroll with both the national register and Tennessee Do Not Call list.

Opt Out: 1-888-567-8688

Toll-free line offered by credit bureaus enables consumers to opt out of pre-approved credit offers sent to their homes for five years or forever, depending on menu option chosen. Can enroll online at

Tennessee Division of Consumer Affairs: 1-800-342-8385

Takes consumer complaints about unfair trade practices, deception, fraud, or illegal practices in the marketplace. Not for general complaints, but for complaints that involve a business transaction. File a complaint online at

Tennessee Human Rights Commission: 1-800-251-3589

7175 Strawberry Plains Pike, Suite 201, 37914
Investigates complaints of discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations.

Tennessee Identification Card, Knox County Clerk’s Office

Cedar Bluff: 215-8500

1028 Old Cedar Bluff Road, 37923

TN Department of Safety

Strawberry Plains: 594-6399

7320 Region Lane, 37914

North Knoxville/Halls Crossroads Centre: 215-3400

7325 Norris Freeway, 37918

East Knoxville Center Mall: 549-5184

3010 South Mall Road, 37917

Farragut: 966-5205

11408 Municipal Center Drive, 37934

Main Courthouse: 215-2385

300 W. Main Avenue, 37902

Provides Tennessee ID card for non-drivers. For initial ID, you must go to the TN Dept. of Safety office in Strawberry Plains. If you already have a non-driver TN ID and need to renew, change name, or get a copy, you can go to any site listed above. For initial ID, provide proof of name and identity, including Social Security ID and certified birth certificate (or other certified document with birthdate) and marriage certificate (for name change), and two proofs of residency. Cost varies. Must be renewed like driver’s license until age 60, then card is permanent. Call for details on locations, hours, and ID required. Persons with disabilities who cannot drive may qualify for a free permanent ID.

Tennessee Public Utility Commission: 1-800-342-8359

502 Deaderick Street, 4th Floor, Nashville, 37243
Formerly known as the Tennessee Regulatory Authority (TRA). Monitors quality of services provided by regulated, private, for-profit public utilities such as natural gas companies, electric, water and waste water utilities (not TVA, cell phone or cable TV companies). Investigates and mediates unresolved consumer complaints.