Volunteer Assisted Transportation
Volunteer Assisted Transportation provides rides for seniors and persons with disabilities who need assistance to travel safely, by:
- Providing rides using agency-owned hybrid sedans and wheelchair-accessible minivans.
- Training volunteer drivers to provide (nonmedical) door-THROUGH-door transportation to those who need help.
Where the Program Goes
- Doctor appointments
- Grocery shopping
- Prescription pickup
- Other important appointments
- Social and recreational trips
- Anywhere in Knox County
- Out-of-county trips on a case-by-case basis
- $3.00 one way (in Knox County)
- $6.00 roundtrip (multiple stops permitted)
- Out-of-county fares vary
Transportation is dependent on the availability of a volunteer driver and vehicle on the day and time that the rider needs it. Anytime the program staff are able to match a volunteer driver and vehicle with a rider’s request, the ride will be provided. Transportation is not limited to “regular” business hours. Available weeknights and weekends based on volunteer availability.
How to Apply
- Contact Volunteer Assisted Transportation at (865) 673-5001
- Complete a rider application
- Eligibility will be determined based on an individual assessment
- Once determined eligible, riders may call the program to place ride requests and receive services.
Volunteer Drivers Needed!
Volunteers use Agency-owned vehicles (and gas) to assist people who might otherwise not be able to leave their homes. Must be 21 years of age and have an excellent driving record.
Driver training includes (All fees paid by the program)
- CPR and first-aid certification
- AAA or AARP Driver Improvement Program
- Passenger assistance techniques
- Vehicle orientation
- Drive a hybrid car
- Sharpen your driving skills
- Help a person in need
CAC’s Office on Aging Volunteer Assisted Transportation is a nonprofit volunteer-driven program dedicated to providing accessible and affordable transportation services to Knox County seniors and persons with disabilities who require aid and assistance to travel safely.
This project is funded under an agreement with the Federal Transit Administration and the Tennessee Department of Transportation and is administered by the Knoxville Regional Transportation Planning Organization. Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) members participate as volunteer drivers.