Internal Revenue Service: 1-800-829-1040

TTY (for deaf only): 1-800-829-4059

Telephone tax assistance.

Property Tax Freeze: 215-8554

Trustee’s Office
1028 Old Cedar Bluff Road, 37923
For income-eligible property owners age 65+ who pay Knox County property taxes, the program freezes property tax amounts. Must reapply every year.

Property Tax Relief

City residents: 215-2084

City Tax Office, 400 Main Street, Suite 453A

County residents: 215-8554

City-County Building, Suite 427, 37902
Trustee’s Office, 1028 Old Cedar Bluff Road, 37923
Low-income homeowners age 65+ or medically disabled, and eligible disabled veterans, get partial rebate on property taxes. Apply between Oct. 1 and Apr. 5 each year. Guidelines included in Oct. tax statement and online at www.

AARP Foundation Tax Aid: 229-4429

Trained AARP volunteers help individuals 60+ fill out federal income and Tennessee tax forms. Available mid- January to April 15. Call or visit for location/hours and appointment (required for some sites).

Tennessee Taxpayer Project: 1-866-481-3669

Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands. Free legal help on federal tax problems for low-income taxpayers. Services include innocent spouse relief, injured spouse relief, tax court representation, liens and levies, negotiations and/or settlement of tax debt, and employee/independent contractor disputes. Can assist with any stimulus payments that were not received.

VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) (CAC): 546-3500

IRS-Trained and Certified Volunteers provide free preparation of Federal Income tax forms at no charge. Call for places and times. Bring tax documents and last year’s tax return. Appointments are required.