Home Repair & Modification

Limited help with minor home repairs, modifications, and weatherization. The Certified Aging-in-Place Specialist (CAPS) program was developed to train and certify building contractors to help consumers who want to repair or modify houses into lifetime homes. See the Action Guide for more information about contractors with CAPS certification.

CAC Housing & Energy Services: 244-3080

2247 Western Avenue, 37921 (street)
P.O. Box 51650, 37950-1650 (mailing)
Offers limited help with home repairs or rehabilitation. Help is for low- and moderate-income homeowners. Eligibility requirements.

CAC Weatherization: 244-3080

2247 Western Avenue, 37921 (street)
P.O. Box 51650, 37950-1650 (mailing)
Provides whole house weatherization to low-income homeowners and renters to reduce long-term energy costs. Eligibility requirements.

City of Knoxville Community Development: 215-2120

City County Building, 400 Main Street, 5th Floor, 37902
Financial and technical assistance for income-eligible homeowners to make repairs to bring house up to code. Homeowner must qualify for low-interest loans. Landlords must keep rent affordable. Repairs can include accessibility modifications and weatherization.

Operation Backyard: 524-2774

Knoxville Leadership Foundation
The Regas Building, 318 N. Gay Street, Suite 201, 37917
Provides free repairs to outside of the home, to low-income homeowners in Knox County. Participants must own and live in the house being repaired and must meet income guidelines. Accessibility ramp applications are available for renters. Recruits and coordinates volunteers to perform repairs.

Rebuilding Together Knoxville: 226-9091

118 N. Peters Rd., Box 315, 37923
Non-profit organization in Knoxville and Knox County. Brings volunteers and communities together to rehabilitate homes for low-income homeowners. Focus on providing critical repairs, accessibility modifications and energy-efficient upgrades to low-income homes and community centers.

Utility Companies

Contact your utility company about low- or no-interest loans for home improvements such as upgrading water/ sewer connections, repairing or replacing septic tanks or defective private sewer laterals, and installing energy-efficient heating or air-conditioning equipment.