PANE: Preventing Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation
A free program supported by CMS Tennessee Department of Health to assist in training staff working in nursing facilities on abuse, neglect, and exploitation of older adults. This program provides psycho-education to residents and families as it relates to abuse prevention. In addition, the program offers case management to residents of nursing facilities who are victims of abuse, or at risk for being victimized. With this program in place, our goal is to improve the overall quality of care for nursing home residents, as well as promote healthier nursing facility staff to improve the ratings of all facilities.
Preventing Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation (PANE) is a program specifically designed to prevent and combat elder abuse occurring within nursing facilities across Knox County. PANE is a program that is offered through the Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee’s Office on Aging, and is a CMP-funded program. The program provides an evidence-based training curriculum surrounding elder abuse and its effects to all nursing facility staff within Knox County, as well as providing educational materials and resources to residents through activities-based learning (i.e. resident council). The case management services offered through this program include safety planning, assistance with obtaining an Order of Protection, law enforcement accompaniment and support, emotional support, and psychoeducation surrounding elder abuse and the effects it can have on a victim.
- What is abuse and neglect?
- How to identify abuse and neglect
- Reporting abuse
- Caregiver self-care to avoid burnout
- Caregiver tips to empower your staff
- Staff will have a better understanding of resident needs
- Personalized educational opportunities that aim to protect residents from things like scams
- Psychoeducation and support for relative issues
- Any resident can qualify for assistance transitioning back to the community that has dealt with trauma and abuse at home
- Upon discharge, refer to CAC’s Rise Above Crime program
- Understanding abuse and neglect
- Trauma-informed care information
- Better understanding of what our older adults go through to assist in better care
- Customer service training
We are in this together to make a better workplace for staff and a better home for every person who lives in long-term care.
This project is supported and funded under a Grant Contract with the State of Tennessee.