Senior Service Directory

Crisis & Hardship Assistance

Limited help with food, shelter, clothing, utilities, supplies, fuel; some agencies also provide counseling on a limited basis. Hot meals are served at a variety of locations around town. Call 211 for locations and times.

American Red Cross: 584-2999

6921 Middlebrook Pike, 37909
Disaster relief, including assistance for families that have lost homes to fire, flood, or other disaster. Communication between and financial assistance for servicemen and servicewomen and their families in emergencies.
» website

Angelic Ministries: 523-8884

1218 N. Central Avenue, 37917
Household items, appliances, clothing, furniture (two pieces) free with referral from agency or church. Open Mon.- Thur., 10 a.m.-2 p.m; distribution Tues. & Wed., 7:30 a.m.
» website

Baptist Center at Western Heights: 525-9068

1230 W. Scott Avenue, 37921
Community Market offers emergency help with food, 8:00 a.m.-12:00 noon, Tues. and Thurs.; no referral needed. Clothing available 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. on Tues. & Thurs.
» website

CAC Homeward Bound: 546-3500

2247 Western Avenue, 37921 (street)
P.O. Box 51650, 37950-1650 (mailing)
Case management and emergency services for the homeless, including housing, counseling, educational services, and job training.

CAC Neighborhood Centers

Knoxville-Knox County Community Action Committee
Assistance with benefits and services, including federal energy assistance. Home visit can be arranged if necessary.

East (East of Broadway): 546-5125
4200 Asheville Highway, 37914

North (Halls/North Knox County): 925-0880
7028 Maynardville Highway, 37918

South (South of the river): 577-7591
522 Maryville Pike, 37920

West (West of Broadway): 524-3345
L. T. Ross Bldg., 2247 Western Avenue, 37921 (street)
P.O. Box 51650, 37950-1650 (mailing)

Community Chest of Knox County: 938-3517

2107 W. Emory Road, 37849
Help with clothing and household items. Very low cost.

Corryton Hospitality Pantry: 687-8438

Rutherford Memorial United Methodist Church
7815 Corryton Road, Corryton, 37721
Provides three-day supply of food. Open on 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month, 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (or earlier if supplies run out). On 4th Thursdays, pantry offers USDA commodities as well. Need photo ID to receive food.

CredAbility: 1-800-251-2227

531 Callahan Drive, Suite 101, 37912
Nonprofit agency (formerly known as Consumer Credit Counseling) that provides education and counseling on credit, budgets, debt management, bankruptcy, housing, and foreclosure. Sliding scale fees.
» website

Contact Care Line

Crisis Help Line: 584-4424
P.O. Box 4641, Oak Ridge, 37831-4641
Supportive, nonjudgmental listening with referrals to other agencies when appropriate. Phones answered 365 days/year, 8:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.
» website

Family Crisis Center: 637-8000

Child and Family Tennessee
24-hour crisis line; shelter for battered women, with or without children; counseling; referrals.
» website


Provides three-day emergency supply of food. If you can pick up your food, go to the FISH Hospitality Pantry (listed below) nearest you on days indicated. Hours vary. May use the pantries as often as needed.
» website

East: 522-3474
600 S. Chestnut Street, 37914
Serves residents east of Broadway. Mon., Wed. & Fri., 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Northwest: 971-4000
122 W. Scott Avenue, 37917
Serves residents east of Broadway. Tues., Thurs., 4th Sat., 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

South: 577-9600
115 Ogle Street, 37920
Serves residents south of the river. Wed., 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Fri., 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.

FISH Team Delivery: 523-7900
For those unable to pick up food, call after 9:00 a.m., Mon.-Sat., to arrange food deliveries. Line stays busy; keep trying your call. Delivery orders will be taken each day as long as volunteer teams are available.
» website

Knox Area Rescue Ministries: 673-6540

418 N. Broadway, 37917
Emergency food and shelter for families and adults (18+). Homeless assistance, and substance-abuse program for adults. Crossroads (633-7654), a homeless resource center, offers crisis intervention, phone and computer access, short-term storage, limited transportation, and referrals to health care and social services.
» website

Knox County Family Assistance Program (CAC): 546-3500

2247 Western Avenue, 37921 (street)
P.O. Box 51650, 37950-1650 (mailing)
Help with utilities, rent, mortgage, and other payments for qualified families. Contact your CAC Neighborhood Center for additional information.

Knoxville Utilities Board: 524-2911

TTY (for deaf only): 594-7494
P.O. Box 59017, 37950-9017
Call for information on or help with BalancedPay Plans, referrals to community agencies, or any utility problems you have. Ask about the third-party notification program that allows you to authorize another person to receive notification if you receive a Final Notice for disconnection.
» See sponsor message
» website

Ladies of Charity

Emergency Assistance: 474-9348
Office and Thrift store: 247-5790
120 W. Baxter Avenue, 37917
Emergency Assistance open Mon.-Fri., 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Provides clothing vouchers for adjacent thrift store, newborn layettes (generous supply of baby items), and offers limited help with rent, utilities, and medications. Food pantry (three-day supply). Limited help with kerosene in winter (Dec. 1 - Apr. 1). Must have photo ID; also need documents showing Social Security numbers of everyone in the household. Thrift store offers clothing, furniture, and household goods, open Mon.-Sat. 9:30 - 4:15 p.m. Donations also accepted during business hours.
» website

LIHEAP: Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (CAC): 637-6700

2247 Western Avenue, 37921 (street)
P.O. Box 51650, 37950-1650 (mailing)
Year-round program that offers low-income households limited help toward utility bills and home-delivered fuels. Eligibility requirements.

Parkwest Behavioral Health Independent Living Program: 374-7272

1451 Dowell Springs Road, Suite 101, 37909
Crisis assistance for persons who are receiving mental health services from a licensed provider. This is not a housing or residential program. Assistance includes rent, deposits, mortgage; utilities, deposits; medicines; and GED testing. And, on a limited basis dental (extractions and dentures); eye exams and eyeglasses; minor car repair. Help is limited to once a year per person. Mon. & Wed., 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Call for eligibility requirements.

Positively Living: 525-1540

1501 E. Fifth Avenue, 37917
Provides housing and care for persons who are homeless and suffering with HIV/AIDS, mental illness, addiction, or a physical disability.

Salvation Army: 525-9401

409 N. Broadway, 37917
Emergency help with food, clothing, utilities, household items; program serves anyone, but must call for appointment. For battered and homeless women and their children; shelter and counseling at Joy Baker Center. Transitional housing program provides job-training, employment, and permanent housing for homeless persons.
» website

Samaritan Place: 684-1880

a program of Catholic Charities of East TN, Inc.
3009 Lake Brook Boulevard, 37909
Temporary emergency housing for seniors, age 55+. Also offers respite care.
» website

Serenity Shelter: 971-4673

Knox Area Rescue Ministries
P.O. Box 3310, 37927
24-hour crisis line. Shelter and counseling for any woman, with or without children, who is a victim of domestic violence. Long-term restoration programs for eligible women.
» website

Volunteer Ministry Center: 524-3926

511 N. Broadway, 37917
The Resource Center, open every day, 7 a.m.-5 p.m., offers meals, shower and laundry facilities, case management, life-skills classes, and more for homeless persons who are enrolled in VMC program to seek permanent housing. The Bush Family Refuge (673-0235), open Mon.-Fri., 9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m., offers emergency assistance, counseling, some help with rent and utilities, food, transportation (limited), and help obtaining eyeglasses, prescriptions and other necessities for those who are homeless or marginally housed.
» website

YWCA: 523-6126

420 W. Clinch Avenue, 37902
Transitional shelter for women age 18+. Private rooms, shared bathrooms. Communal living room and kitchen facilities. Fee. Must fill out application.
» website